"There is nothing more pleasant than cruising on a boat with the whole family."
Letter from Empress Catherine the Great

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

An Invitation From Halifax

The following intriguing comment was posted in response to the most recent posting on this blog:

    "Hi. I am a long time reader of your blog and enjoy it very much.
      I see you are planning to visit Nova Scotia this year and would
      like to invite you to visit Armdale YC in Halifax NS. Anonymous"

Well:
Ahoy Dear Mr. or Ms. Anonymous,
          First, I am grateful for your readership and your praise. I am always interested in how people discover my blog and what they like about it -- and dislike.
          Lene and I are pleased to accept your invitation. (The kitties have no say in the matter.) I looked at the Armdale's website and it looks like a very nice club.
We would like to meet you, because the best part of such an invitation would be the opportunity to speak with real Canadians, especially ones who sail.
           I'm trying to figure out how we can get in communications beforehand without one or the other of us posting his or phone number or email in the blog. Here is my plan: I could send an email to someone on the Committee of Management of your Club, who you would designate by his title.I would send my information to this individual at his or her club email address, not personal email address. You would alert that officials to expect such and ask him to forward it to you. Sound like a plan? Or you could send your info to secretary@hyc.org asking her to forward it to Roger.
         Our current plans would get us to Halifax sometime in July and I will have a better fix on the date as it gets closer.
         We visited your city for a day from a big 2000 passenger cruise line (it was simultaneous with the destruction of New Orleans by hurricane) and saw the maritime museum and the big fort atop the hill. We learned of the history of your city and the aid it gave to survivors of the Titanic and the explosion. This was before I had started the blog.
Best wishes,
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment