"There is nothing more pleasant than cruising on a boat with the whole family."
Letter from Empress Catherine the Great

Friday, February 5, 2016

Jan 17 to Feb 2 -- One Work Day and a Visit to Oregon

It has been cold in New York, not conducive to boat work. But we had a 26" snowfall so I thought I better get out to the boat the next day to try to shove the snow off the canvas cover to prevent it tearing under that big load. The streets were clear and light traffic made getting to the Huguenot easy. The hardest part was wading through the snow from the car to the boat through drifts more than 26" deep. The wind that had delivered the snow had also blown almost all of it off the cover. Just a bit was left, on both sides, forward of the mast. Easy. But I was there, so I took off the starboard coach roof winch, except for the central core, which has not budged. That one will require me either to reread the manual again and/or to enlist the help of Ed. I wrapped the parts in plastic and scrubbed off the old caked-on grease at home, where it was warm. Only an hour at the boat, and four total.
The Oregon trip was to hang with family and friends, which is great, but I missed out on some warm days back east.
I had a free day and visited the Oregon Historical Society, which has a museum. They displayed a collection of propaganda posters published in WWI and WWII. This image, of  action at sea was arresting.
But the primary purpose of the trip was friends and family. Here are family: Mario, Sharyn and Alexandra. I stayed in their lovely home in Lake Oswego. Alexandra helmed ILENE out of Provincetown MA in June 2013.





And friends: Meridel and Judy, who sailed with us aboard ILENE for a few days in the Turks and Caicos in the early spring of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment