"There is nothing more pleasant than cruising on a boat with the whole family."
Letter from Empress Catherine the Great

Monday, January 23, 2017

Jan 1 - 21 -- Winter Calm

Eight work days but only 30 hours. I've been slowed, a lot, by a sprained left wrist that I'm supposed to rest. Most of the time was spent on the cabin sole refinish job. Doyle Sails gave me the  "Common Sense" brand hardware for the new attachment of cockpit cushions (and lent me the tool for attaching the grommets) and I removed the old button type fasteners with my dykes. Also, I finished the cleaning out of the aluminum fresh water tanks. Unfortunately, I see that corrosion has caused pitting of the inside surface of the tanks and they will need to be replaced in a few years, hopefully before the pits become holes all the way through.
Add caption
How do you like the new removable orange rubber gaskets, peeking out from under the edge of one of the four viewing (and cleaning) port covers, cut from a sheet of rubber from Canal Rubber?

I've also had three pleasurable "Other" days so far this young year. First a dinner with other Corinthians at a restaurant in Greenwich Village. Lots of good sailing talk with my stuffed artichoke and only a ten minute walk.

Next, a second day at the Met, with Greg, of my book group, who knows a lot about art. We refined our tour of selected boating art, and decided we had to omit several lovely pieces including those of the impressionists. So much great art and so little time! Our tour will cover almost 4000 years of history and every continent except Africa and Australia.

Finally a "Two Act"  evening at the Harlem. First a membership meeting, at which I agreed to serve as our Fleet Captain until a replacement can be found, with a charge to try to organize a meeting to get the summer cruise planned (even though if plans for Nova Scotia reach fruition ILENE will not be able to participate). I was also charged to try to organize a winter cruise with a charter boat in a warm place next winter. Speaking of warm places in the winter, Pandora has reached the BVIs after a rough passage. Google Sail Pandora for Bob's blog.  I reported to the members that 20 of our 25 slots for the "land cruise" to the museum are filled so far.

Act Two was International Night which costs $15.00 (as a fund raiser) with a cash bar. You also bring a dish. As usual, each couple brought enough food in their dish to serve 20 but only two mouths to eat it; gluttony ensued. I made my first carrot cake, with cream cheese icing, and it was good. It is one of my favorita annual events at the club.

No comments:

Post a Comment