"There is nothing more pleasant than cruising on a boat with the whole family."
Letter from Empress Catherine the Great

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

May 10-12 Including First Sail and HYC Work Party and Meeting

There has been a heck of a lot of rain the last week of so; the April showers came in May, dampening outdoor activities. We enjoyed another dinner theater evening with Harriet and Bennett.

The first sail was 3.5 hours with Gene, one of the two men who had gone to the Defender sale with me in late March.
His first ride aboard ILENE and it was a good sail. We used the small jib on the way out, to half way between Ex. Rocks and Matinacock, and the genoa on the way back when the winds got lighter. We had a few totally dead spots and eventually furled the sails and  motored back. Gene is an experienced sailor and had the helm the entire time. I did the trimming and all sails worked well; no kinky errors in mounting them. I had not seen the depth meter turn on during the motor transit from ILENE's winter berth to the Harlem, but I tried again and the switch for the Autopilot (which is not connected) is linked with the wind, depth and speed displays and came on. But we turned them off and sailed like Columbus did, except he was going where no European had gone before while we were in our home waters.

And Saturday was the Club's work party followed, after an hour's respite during which I read in the local branch of the public library, by a membership meeting. Because Lene had driven to her friend's home in the Berkshires for the weekend, I took public transportation to the Club and Mark gave me a ride back to the Pelham Station for the subway ride home at the end of the day.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day. Despite some rain a whole lot of folks showed up and formed into large teams to accomplish many tasks. Many guys brought their very heavy duty power tools and everyone tried to help as much as possible in a cooperative manner.
+ The Adirondack chairs on the front porch were sanded repaired where needed and given a fresh coat of white paint.
+ Ten more new ones were delivered to be at the sides of the new and larger cupola, half way out on the dock. It had been rebuilt, larger and stronger, using donated funds and volunteer labor after the old one got blown away in hurricane Sandy. (Side rails not up yet.)

+ Another team installed a large "dollhouse"-like structure on top of it, with an ornamental but working wind vane at the peak. It is lighted from the inside with the light shining out of its windows. Classy! With the HYC burgee's emblem, in brass, on the pennant if you look closely.

+ I finished reattaching the sign at the end of the dock and washed it. Next time, lets wash it before putting it up so we need not so so while standing on a ladder rocking as waves hit the dock. And we have solar powered lights for the sign that I reattached.

+  One  big project was moving one of the floating docks to the railroad car and hauling it out to attach a large black plastic rectangular air filled float so it will be level again and then towing it back to where it goes.
+ Another team drilled holes for metal fittings at the landward end of the floating dock with a piece of chain, run through a set of short PVC collars and shackled tightly at both ends around the piling located there to secure the dock to the piling. My sneaker appears so you can see how hefty the metal fittings are.
+ The trophies in their case had their annual taste of silver polish.

Both the bagels and coffee breakfast and the very ample and tasty lunch were provided for us worker bees by the Club.

The spirit of teamwork and good will was so strong -- I was proud of my Club.

And the same spirit continued during the membership meeting. It is true that no divisive issues were up for decision, but sadly, a few decades ago that would not stop some members from putting each other (and the board members) down with snotty questions. A lot of good projects and improvements are underway to preserve and strengthen the Club, all worked on by our volunteer leaders. Dues would have to be much higher if we had to pay for all the work that gets done, and they folks enjoyed the work, the comradeship and getting to know each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment