"There is nothing more pleasant than cruising on a boat with the whole family."
Letter from Empress Catherine the Great

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

March 10 - 25 -- Corona Virus Slows Activity Even More

Yes, the virus has slowed life to a standstill. We are hibernating in our apartment, walking up ten flights to a higher floor and back down twice a day to keep the muscles from atrophy. Also walks, near salt or brackish water, across the East River to Brooklyn and back on the Williamsburg Bridge,












along the Hudson where we saw a shuttered party boat,












and to Marine Park in lower Brooklyn, a park I had not known existed.

The Defender Store, a discount chandlery, has a sale toward the end of March each year -- a fun drive with several guys from the Club almost to the Rhode Island border to buy things needed for our boats. Their warehouse annually becomes a happy mob scene so this year for health reasons they agreed to do it by phone or internet. After several hours with their catalog and website, I had my SKU numbers all in a row and placed my order: two kinds of paint and four lines ( from 0.8 mm whipping twine to a 1" double braid mooring pennant). Also, the two new aluminum diesel fuel tanks have arrived and are in the car's back seat and trunk.
The fuel tank project has progressed with the 40 gallons of fuel pumped by jigger siphon from the larger forward tank through hose led through the speedo hole to the empty pails and jugs in a plastic box on the ground below the boat. For the actual siphoning I was fortunate enough to have help from both Lene and Bennett. Bennett also lent me seven of his five gallon pails for storage and I have cleaned out the five gallon yellow diesel Jerry can for that use too. And the old tank is out of the pit in which it has sat these past 20 years. The cleaning of that pit, removal of the old and attachment of the new tank comes next. For the heavy lifting in that regard I am blessed to be able to call upon my nephew, Mendy. During this period I worked on five days (one from home) for 14 hours.
Early in this period, before the severity of the quarantine set in, we enjoyed a lovely social dinner at Bennett and Harriet's house.

4 comments:

  1. This is a blog to read out for sure. I found you have a really awesome writing style.Its simple and easy to understand.Your blog design is so clean too! Thank you for all the hard work!
    nj boat broker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your compliments toward my writing. I get very little feedback and appreciate it very much. Lene complains that i spend way too much time doing the blog. Constructive criticism would also be useful. Sadly for you, I am not planning to be in need of brokerage services until ILENE becomes too much for me to handle, though at age 76 that is not too many seasons in the future. Best, Roger

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed! I must say that the information is Extremely useful and very engaging. Keep writing.Many many thanks and best of luck for your upcoming blogs.nj boat broker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Article… I love to read your articles because your writing style is too good, it is very very helpful for all of us and I never get bored while reading your article because, they are simply interesting from the starting line until the end.
    Read an interesting Blog on"yacht broker in Brick nj"now

    ReplyDelete