"There is nothing more pleasant than cruising on a boat with the whole family."
Letter from Empress Catherine the Great

Monday, July 6, 2020

July 1 - 3 -- Three No-Go Days

I mean we did not get underway by sea. We did visit our friends Tom and Marie in Clark NJ.
They had been aboard for a day sail earlier this season and in past seasons and treated us to a delicious dinner and good conversation. My only failure was again to fail to take their picture.
Next day started with my annual eye exam, followed by my first haircut after more than three months. Lene was thinking I should grow a mullet but agreed, after the deed, that she prefers in short, the way she wanted it for the prior 23 years, during which the salt has crowded out the pepper. And she looks at me a lot more than I look at myself. 

Returning to the boat for chores like cleaning, cutting up the next pineapple, and planning for our proposed cruise up the Hudson in August.  We scored the paper version of Points East magazine and read in it my account of last summer's Rhode Island cruise. ( pointseast.com. Click on "Latest Issue in upper right corner and scroll to page 28.) 
The third day of the trio was a cheduled day sail with Jeff and Sharon, with the plan to visit Lady Liberty. The date had been picked for favorable tides. But Mother Nature conspired against us; the predictors stating an 80 percent probability of rain, in addition to very light winds until the afternoon thunderstorm. So an adjournment. They predicted correctly though the winds of the thunderstorm were not as strong as envisioned. During the morning's drive to shop for food and The Times Lene espied the New Rochelle farmers market and we ended up with a lot of good stuff including kohl rabi, to make my cole slaw a little different, and baklava. I also sanded down the edge of the door between the salon and the pullman berth so that it now almost fits in the jamb. Soon it will indeed fit. The purpose: so that physically the kitties can be kept from waking Lene at first light for their food, though the door is not soundproof and Alphie's voice will still be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment