"There is nothing more pleasant than cruising on a boat with the whole family."
Letter from Empress Catherine the Great

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Catch Up

Here I sit in a lovely room at the Saba Rock Resort on Virgin Gorda while Roger is off sailing with his buddies from the Harlem Yacht Club. I thought about coming home to recuperate from this sun poisoning but checking into a hotel seemed a lot easier. The rash is definitely getting better and I am less itchy. Roger will come for me on Friday or Saturday and hopefully the rash will be mostly gone and won't come back. In 1993 I spent a week in the Bahamas and this same thing happened. I need to make sure I stay very protected from the sun because this has not been fun!
So, where were we? I have the computer here in the hotel room and Roger asked me to post about our activities during the last few days IN HIS STYLE which means in great detail. I'm afraid I have neither the talent nor inclination. Sorry, honey. I'll do my best to at least give you a summary.

On Thursday of last week we were still sailing around St. John, USVI. To be anywhere on St. John is to love the island. It is truly gorgeous. We spent Thursday night on a mooring in Leinster Bay. We went for a hike and snorkeled and ate dinner on board. A beautiful and tranquil day, and I am still feeling fine!
Friday had us sailing just a few miles before we turned into Maho Bay. Roger brought me a tee shirt from here when he last sailed these islands. There is a resort here unlike any I have ever known or seen. Maho Bay is large and, again, plenty of moorings for which you pay $15 through an honor system by dropping your cash or credit card special form in a lock box located on a raft in the middle of the bay. You find a wooden staircase in the middle of the beach and you climb and you climb and you climb. I think it is about 200 steps up to the communal restaurant. Friday night is Prime Rib night and the food was excellent. You go up to the bar, place your order and pay. They call your name when the food is ready and you go and get it. While you are waiting for your name to be called, you help yourself to the fresh salad bar. The views are beautiful as they are all over St. John. We met a woman who was vacationing by herself and she joined us. There are lean-to's all over the mountain with screened in walls, a small refrigerator, a bed or two and a small terrace. We learned from our table mate that price to stay in this paradise is $60 per night for a single and $80 for a double. Amazing! If you love the beach and hanging out this is a great place to go.
We left Maho early on Saturday and we went back to Sopers Hole to check back into the BVI. I did a laundry and Roger did some blogging. We then sailed to Roadtown to meet up with the HYC contingent. On Sunday we all sailed to Cooper Island. This is yet another pristine island where all one has to do is pick up a mooring and don a bathing suit and jump in...which I did. We all ate together (there are 14 of us now!) at the restaurant on shore. This place was elegant and the food was really good! I had had a very bad night on Saturday night with the itching on my legs. Sunday night was even worse so when we awoke on Monday, Roger and I sailed back to Roadtown and I went to a clinic. The local doctor told me I should get off of the boat for two weeks and give myself a chance to heal from this rash. He gave me a strong cortisone cream and some benedryl. We took a taxi back to where we had left the boat and sailed to North Cove (right where I am now) to meet up with the rest of the crew. I felt rather hopeless and didn't know what to do. Tuesday AM dawned and I told Roger I thought I should head home and give myself a chance to heal. We looked into what that would take....sailing back to Roadtown, taxis, ferries and planes. It all felt overwhelming! An alternative plan is what we are trying and that is me staying at this hotel and it seems to be working. The rash is much less inflamed...fainter and less itchy. We both slept in the hotel room on Tuesday night and he left with his buddies (Bennett, a HYC member down here with the charter crew sailed with him).
Here I wait for Rojay to come and get me either tomorrow or Saturday. I am grateful that he is having fun sailing with his friends. frankly, it would not be fun to be cooped up in this room (which is lovely with beautiful views of the Bay. My room is one of the windows on the upper floor on the right side of the hotel) with anyone!
So, friends, that is the story so far. The one thing I forgot to take with me for this sojourn at the hotel is the camera as I could have uploaded some photos. Sorry, and thanks for reading and following our adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Honey,
    The place sounds lovely - the sun poisoning does not.

    lots of love

    ReplyDelete