"There is nothing more pleasant than cruising on a boat with the whole family."
Letter from Empress Catherine the Great

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Virgin Gorda (or fat virgin as a literal translation)

Hi all,
I am sitting in the restaurant at the Bitter End Yacht Club on this island of the BVI's. The view, as all views from almost anywhere on these islands, is spectacular. I am sorely disappointed we haven't been posting any photos and I really, really hope to correct that very soon. Rogers buddies from the HYC came down on Saturday and we met up with them in Roadtown, Tortola on Saturday night. Then on Sunday we (now there are 4 boats...ours and three charters) we left for a short sail to Cooper Island. Each place is a postcard but I'm going to try and not talk so much about the beauty of the islands since I can't show you what I'm seeing. I can tell you that I am seriously disappointed by my health right now. A few days ago I noticed a few red dots on and under my skin, particularly on my legs and though I was being bitten by mosquitoes and these other tiny nuisance flying insects called "noseeums". But it has become apparent that I have developed sun poisoning and have been very, very uncomfortable for the past 3 days and nights, with the nights being absolutely the worst!
I went to a local doctor yesterday who gave me a strong topical cortisone cream and strong benedryl and told me to get off the boat for a couple of weeks.
Sailing around with other boats and hiking and snorkeling and eating together could be so much fun but I am not capable of having any real fun because I am either terribly itchy or groggy from the benedryl. Being unable to participate in these activities makes me feel really sad.
So, today I'll be checking into the hotel and staying until Friday or Saturday. I will rest and write and read and wait for Roger and the kittens to come back and get me on Friday or Saturday or Sunday and I am very hopeful that by then I will be better.
They told me the tropical sun is different from the sun up north and I used sunblock all the time but if given another chance to feel healthy and stay down here, I will be super vigilant about protecting myself from the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment