"There is nothing more pleasant than cruising on a boat with the whole family."
Letter from Empress Catherine the Great

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Barefoot Dave


Characters abound, and I'm sure not only in Hampton, Va. All one has to do is be out in the world and one will meet new and interesting people. My tendency is to want to stay home...don't meet new people...stay with the familiar. Thank the universe I have a husband who is so different from me. He loves to meet new people and experience new situations. This leads me to Barefoot Davis. He has participated in every one of the 21 consecutive Caribbean 1500 rallies. He gave a talk today (the official start of the rally) about fishing, and a very funny one at that. He sang tonight at a local club with his band. That's him above performing at the local hangout (in person you would see that he is, indeed, barefoot). He lives on the island of St. Thomas. What an interesting guy, who I never would have heard sing (he was good!) if I had stayed behind on the boat. Roger says I should ALWAYS follow him...that I will always have a good time.
We first met Dave when he inspected our boat and helped Roger tune the mast. He is an extremely knowledgeable sailor.
Today was another day of errands and socializing. Tomorrow will be chock full of workshops, mainly for the people here who are making the ocean journey south. I plan on walking the docks here which are filled with beautiful boats that I haven't seen yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment