"There is nothing more pleasant than cruising on a boat with the whole family."
Letter from Empress Catherine the Great

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Delay


Hurricane Tomas is interfering with my life...my plans! If this isn't a great window on my self absorption I don't know what is. I want to get home. I need to get home. I was supposed to be driving our car home very early tomorrow AM as our NY crew would be driving to Hampton today arriving later tonight. With the uncertainty of when Ilene the Boat will actually be leaving Hampton for the BVI's up in the air, crew has delayed their arrival in Hampton by at least a day. The truth is I am not in charge. I am not in charge of when they get here...I am certainly not in charge of hurricanes, and the world does not revolve around my needs.
These humbling experiences are wonderful tools by which to grow and I pray for the willingness to learn from them. And, the bottom line is that once I stop feeding on my anxiety and recognize I can't control things, the better I feel. Why I need to learn and re-learn this simple lesson over and over is beyond me...but that's the way it is. Did someone say Acceptance is the key?
Dave, our crew member (pictured above) who Roger found from asking on the Corinthian web site, arrived yesterday. He is a big, strong very experienced sailor who has been SO, SO helpful. We have been blessed with great help. Dennis on the way down, and now Dave and the rest of the crew...whenever they get here!
Today at 2 Pm we will have another Womens Roundtable. They have been so illuminating. Boy, the older I get the more I realize how important having women in my life is. Talk about wisdom! Todays womens meeting will focus more on life in the Caribbean rather than the journey down...Perfect!

4 comments:

  1. Nice blogging, Missy!
    More layers of surrender - just what the doctor ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love reading your blog..good luck getting back to ny..let me hear from u when u arrive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me get this straight. You are sitting on the boat of your dreams with the woman of your dreams and a support crew some of whom are there and the rest almost there and you are kvetching???? Oy Vey!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ilenie
    What I love about reading your blogs is that you treat every situation and feeling as a growing and learning experience. Can't wait to hear more about it all soon.
    Rudy

    ReplyDelete