"There is nothing more pleasant than cruising on a boat with the whole family."
Letter from Empress Catherine the Great

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Clamors of Everyday Life


Boy, how the clamors of everyday life interferes with being present for myself and others. I spent so much time trying to make sure everything got fixed TODAY. The hot water..the internet connection...the single sideband radio...you name it, I wanted it to work NOW. I spent hours on the computer and on the phone working with the company we bought our wifi booster from trying to get it to work NOW. I forgot that I am not in charge and I can't make things happen as I want them when I want them. All this trying to control really interferes with the human and spiritual connections I want in my life. It just isn't worth it.
I heard someone say tonight that the difference between God and me is that God isn't trying to be me. How true!
And, btw, the internet connection is coming along. It will work. The single sideband is working. The hot water will be fixed. All will be fine, and I know that.
I miss little Alpha and Whitty but I know they will soon be frolicking on the boat with us as we cruise in our second home among the islands of the Caribbean. All will be very, very well. I end my day here in Hampton, Virginia in a state of near gratitude. It is where I want to be and I'm getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment